Most weight loss surgeries today are performed using a minimally invasive technique (laparoscopic surgery).The most common bariatric surgery procedures are gastric bypass, adjustable gastric band and sleeve gastrectomy (often called gastric sleeve). In the last decades, the most popular bariatric surgery choices have been changing, nowadays more and more patients are opting for a less extensive gastric sleeve surgery over the traditional gastric bypass.
“Gastric sleeve surgery is one of the newest types of weight loss surgery to treat severe obesity. Historically, it was used as the first step in a two staged obesity treatment. It was found that some patients lost enough weight with a sleeve gastrectomy alone and that the second stage of the operation was not required.”1
The gastric sleeve procedure is performed by removing approximately 75 to 80 percent of the stomach, causing sustainable weight loss by restricting the amount of food (and thus calories) that it can hold. It also produces less of the appetite-regulating hormone ghrelin, which may lessen the desire to eat.
Gastric Sleeve advantages:
- Feel less hungry and full sooner while eating.
- Minimal invasive technique.
- Less surgical time and recovery.
- Involves a relatively short hospital stay of approximately 2 nights.
- Easy to maintain progress and weight loss results.
- Health improvements (Very effective at treating and even causing the remission of diabetes, high blood pressure and other medical conditions associated with obesity).
- Does not affect the absorption of calories and nutrients in the intestines.
- No adjustments or foreign bodies (like with adjustable gastric bands) that may cause obstruction, slippage or erosion.
- Reliable weight loss (patients lose about 70% of their extra weight).
Despites the high success rates, all gastric sleeve patients must stay committed to change their lifestyle in to a healthier one. Baja Surgery offers a surgical support team that takes a comprehensive approach to weight loss surgery patients. The team includes full pre-operative education, nutritional counseling, exercise guidance, and individual and group counseling opportunities.
To learn more about gastric sleeve procedure, contact us through social media or phone!